Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Time2KickIt

Looking to get Sober -Very Nervous about Withdrawl

Hi Folks,

I have been lurking on this board for the past couple of weeks and it looks like a great way to help support people trying to get sober.

I don't know if it is appropriate to be posting here yet as I am still drinking - but I have clearly made up my mind that I must stop my drinking. It is affecting my family, my health and my work. I have finally come to the realization that I have a problem and that I can't fix this one on my own. (It's about bloody time! Lol).

While I am very set in my mind that I want and need to completely stop drinking, I am very worried about the initial withdrawl. I frequently work from home and am ashamed to say that I typically drink from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. My weapon of choice is beer and it isn't like I ever get drunk -but in the various times I have had to not drink (had to go to on-site customer meeting) I definitely feel the shakes and unsteadiness. I have seen some of the posts about withdrawl and honestly it scares the heck out of me. I can only imagine it will be a horrible experience. Based on what I have read it sounds like I should be going to see my Doctor prior to "trying to do it on my own".

I guess what I am saying is that I am trying to "plan" for my quit date and want to be as organized and informed as I can be. I have a feeling that once I dive into this I might need some time off work.

Today was a big day - it was the first time I told somebody that I have a problem and am going to try to fix it. While it has been in my mind for several months now -it has only been the last couple of weeks that I have really admitted to myself that I am out of control and need help. I feel good about this (hence finally posting here) and finally feel like I am out of the closet and going to fight this beast. Somehow talking to someone about it makes it more real and actually makes me accountable for saying I am going to do something about it.

Any advice or experience with how you handled the initial withdrawl would be appreciated. Thx in advance.