Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pojman

The results are in. My bloodwork levels were normal, and my CT scan was normal. I had to see it for myself, so I asked them to send me copies of the reports so that I can also keep my own medical records. I think I might just frame the results and keep it on the wall in my office..

But anyway... I think that, for a lot of us, we all go through this at some point. For me, I was simply embarassed to sit in front of a doctor and tell them that I am an alcoholic.

I just want to encourage anyone here that is going through what I went through, to just do it!! The feeling of having this behind me is awesome. Even if the test results were bad, I would rather know instead of living in the dark.

For those of you who might be avoiding the doctor, or simply do not know where to start - The place to call is your local hospital "Gastroenterology" department. I just told them straight up that I have been having pain in my abdomen, and I am a recovered/recovering alcoholic. They will know what to do from there. The specific testing that is usually done to detect issues with the liver is bloodwork, and a "CT" scan. If you can speak their language, you can often get more testing done, and get a more clear picture of what is going on.

In any case, make sure that you come up with a plan with you doctor. There is plenty of technology these days that can give you a clear answer for what you are dealing with.

The cost of the testing ran me about $1500. Although this seems steep, you can also be clear with them upfront that you will be making a payment arrangement with them. If you can find a "Non-profit" hospital, they are even more willing to make whatever payment arrangement that you can afford.

Good luck to everyone.