Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sadmabel

I know many of you have years of experience with addicts and appreciate your wisdom. But my son is 20 years old, depressed, coming off of drugs, anxiety ridden, full of shame, guilt, suffered a horrible tragedy in February which proceded this drug use. He does not go out to party. He clearly is self medicating depression and anxiety. He is also a liar, a manipulator and a thief as addicts are. I don't have my head in the sand about that He is starting on an SSRI for the depression and anxiety and has quit drugs, albeit he is only 5 days in. Am I wrong to be concerned about him? Should I not view 5 days as better than none? If I wouldn't have intervened to the extent that I have, he would still be using. Maybe it wasn't HIS idea to initially stop but if I waited for that he would be dead. Should I throw a 20 year old, depressed, anxious man whose beloved uncle (who by the way NEVER used a drug in his life) just blew his head off with a shot gun out on the streets if he fails? I have started therapy as has my son. I know I have enabled him in the past and will surely make mistakes and do so in the future. Maybe someday I will choose not to have a relationship with him. But right now I will fight for him, I wont just surrender my son to the streets and drugs without putting up one hell of a fight. If that is enabling, if I'm codependent then I will own that.