Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

Originally Posted by LOVINGRA View Post
I am so sorry. I am guessing you are older (going by your parent's marriage term). I also had no experience with addiction and found out my BF had an alcohol history after 4 years. I do love him and have stuck by him through a couple relapses. But he is a kind, loving person who is successful and normally treats me like gold. I feel he is worth it. Having said that, though I am over 60 and actually still pretty desirable -- after this one, I am done. My daughter can't understand why I don't just go find some "great" guy. I happen to think mine is a great guy but nevertheless -- if something goes South with this one -- I do not plan to get in another relationship. I will try to fill up my need to be a helper type by making this world a better place in another way. I will help build community gardens, work at Habitat, help elect good reps -- you know the drill. Maybe even join an Intentional Community.

Don't be so hard on yourself -- it is really, really hard for nice women to find a suitable companion after a certain age. Any man over 50 that I would even consider dating (and have dated) left me for a woman in her thirties. It just seems to be biology. I love my guy, but even he is a pain in the ass. Women seem to think we are failures if we aren't "with" someone.

I know this sounds easy to say -- but my recommendation to you is just to swear off men for awhile. Get your own life in order, save some money, help small lost children -- find something that brings you passion beyond helping addicts who most probably have a personality disorder. Read up on Narcissism, Anti-Social, and Borderline Personality Disorder. Lately, my favorite read is Emotional Intelligence and Social Intelligence -- a real eye opener. Many alcoholics are just dealing with a disease process that once dealt with reveals a great worthwhile human being. But some addicts are simply too emotionally damaged to rescue. Don't waste your precious time.
I'm 46, but look younger so I have a few good years left yet to find a good man ;-)
The things is, I get hit on all the time by great men I am sure, but I despise being hit on. I run when a man hits on me.
I'm going to swear off men for a while, but I say that whenever I'm single, then there is always someone that comes along.
I need to face this part of my recovery in much different ways.
Like I said above, I've read up on PD's for years so know a lot about them,.....can't even look at another morsel of info on it or I'll scream.

This ex and my last cannot be fixed. AA or not, they are broken for life.

I don't feel like a failure being single again, but I do want to have a happy relationship and find a great guy for sure.