View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eight Ball

Hi Meganw1972,

It sounds like you have been having a pretty tough time (an understatment) at the hands of your fiance and the lack of support from your best freind.

I am pleased that you found this website, because it is a great place to come for ES&H - experience, strength and hope.

I had a good best friend (GBF) who was very supportive of my circumstances, hearing my stresses of having to cope and live with an active alcoholic husband. (AH) There were times though when she made comments that didnt sit right and I felt that she really didnt understand the alcoholic/partner dynamic.

When I found SR it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders, as I was now reading about/from people who understood the acoholic dynamic who had empathy for me, who understood exactly what I was going through and who I could relate to.

My GBF is still my best friend but these days I work through my troubles on SR and just update my GBF in an overall general view. I also feel better about not having to 'burden' her with my problems all the time. I know she doesnt mind listening but I get far more 'relative' ES&H here on SR.

We all have flaws or shortcomings, maybe your friends strengths are in other areas and it is something you can both overcome.

You have found SR now, so post as much as you like, use it as a sounding board. You will be surprised at how many have been through very similar circumstances as you, and come out on the other side.