View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillamy

I've found that it's more important that I know and am comfortable with the truth behind my decisions than that others are convinced of them.

My AXH has his story about how our breakup came about; the only thing it has in common with mine is that I left. In the story he's telling himself (and everyone he meets), I am the evil witch of the West, and he is the innocent victim. This, I know, is part of his illness: If he truly accepted his responsibility for our breakup, he would have to accept that he is an alcoholic and that he and only he has the ability to do something about that. The addiction is like a demon inside fighting against that truth, because that truth, if acted on, would mean the end of him feeding his addiction.

At first, it was hard for me to accept that people in our small town would meet AXH and get "his" version of the story. But I've accepted that this is the way it is, and that the people who believe his story over mine are people I don't care to have in my life anyway.

It sounds harsh, but that's where I've landed. I know the truth about why I left. That's enough.