View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MrsKing

Hmmm... it sounds to me like you don't have enough good people around you. I'm 24 and I can understand a lot of your concerns because I too have people look at me like I'm completely MAD for quitting alcohol and for turning my life around. The person closest to me (my husband) has never once thought that because he knows what alcohol does to me and my behaviour with it, but friends don't quite get it and neither does my mum. She says to me: "ohhh just have a sip of this wine! It's so delicious" - she just can't understand that when I say I've given up alcohol I mean I have given it up! Slowly, people are starting to realise that I am totally serious about this and there's no amount of jokes, comments or persuasive behaviour that will make me give in. I think the problem is, and this isn't very nice to think, people are quite happy to let others mess up because it makes them feel better... and then, when they begin to turn themselves around and are no longer the one that makes mistakes, I think they're almost annoyed. Annoyed because they haven't got that person they can compare themselves to and feel better about who they are and what they do. By quitting alcohol you are causing people to question their own behaviour with alcohol and I don't think people react well to that. I don't have much advice on the situation because so far, the only thing I've noticed that has made people stop joking and commenting and trying to make me drink, is time. Time and a completely determined attitude from me... stay strong and don't give in. YOU CAN DO THIS! Good luck and welcome to SR - stick around, you'll find a huge amount of help here.