View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
regeneration

hello fatale, welcome and good for you for taking this seriously. You're brave for getting this sorted at 22, took me nearly 2 decades on from that.

I went to see an addiction counsellor when I stopped. He asked me who would support me in this (out of friends and family). I had one person, which really, really, depressed me.

I had to cut out a lot of friends (we did stay in touch a bit, but I think we found it uncomfortable). My middle brother tells me "are you mad? drinking is the only thing that keeps me sane", and my older brother and me don't talk. My younger brother, abuses alcohol and drugs, but bless him, he has tried. He won't go down the pub with me anymore if I pop to see him, he'll just drink red wine at home and watch movies with me (and for him, this is massive).

My boyfriend (now ex) kept having a go at me for trying AA and telling me "why would I want to sit with a bunch of London alcoholics", and that I didn't have an issue. This is despite having told me I needed to stop drinking (as I would turn a bit nuts with him when drunk).

Despite all this... it's got better. The friends who didn't get it first, now do, a bit. They have seen the changes in me.

Keep telling your friends and family (the ones you can stay in touch with) you are doing this for you as you need to as it will make you feel better (say it loudly and firmly... if they don't get it..their issue), and how important this is (and tell them the gory reasons why if needs be, I told one friend I'd been suicidal so this was why I'd stopped, but obviously that's up to you).

Are you living with your family? Reason is, that if people are discouraging you, you may need to avoid them for a bit. I had to. Try and get people supportive in your life e.g. online, support groups, anything. I've had to make changes/stop seeing some people (I had a lot of big drinking friends) and I can't see two of my brothers yet.

Yet, I'm now touched at those who have supported me, often unexpectedly. I've met people online and in meetings. It does get better. Best wishes to you, keep posting.

[EDIT] meant to add.. you're not alone if you're on here. And the longer you are sober, the more sober people you will get to know. You'll start doing different things without being out of it.