View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fatale

Advices on opening up?

Hi everybody!

I'm very new at recovery (and being sober). Doctor still trying to figure out what would be best for me, if I should go to rehab, etc. I was told they had a plan for me during the upcomming week. They also talked with me about trying to open up to people close to me about it, tell them what is going on, etc.

I am an abuser of pills and alcohol and will take drugs when available. It has gotten really bad several times with overdosing, psychotic states and all that. Opening up and telling people close to me about anything is an extremely big step for me, and this was the first time I ever did something like that.
Sadly people did not take it well. They didn't get mad or anything but they completely acted like there was no problem, saying they haven't noticed anything and saying I'm probably just having a hard time right now. (It has been going on for 6 years.)

My mom said I was just hungover and kept giving me wine, saying it would help and make me feel better - "and stop talking nonsense then". This is despite the fact she has been driving me to the hospital several times, related to alcohol and drugs. My dad said I'm not old enough to having developed addiction to alcohol (I'm turning 22 next month). Boyfriend first thought I was joking and kept talking about when we should go out for drinks again. When I told him that I'm serious about it he said that I had no problem and he always mentions "oh but my mom is working with some addicts so I would know".
My friends just ignore it and pretends the problem doesn't exist. Or they laugh at it and make jokes about that I would not be me without alcohol. All these people would in the past make some rude comments about how much I drink, tell me that maybe I should cut down and such. Now they turn their backs on me.

I know it might not be easy for people to deal with and I have been told this. But that does not help me at all. I don't expect them to even deal with it. Jus that they stop litteraly holding alcohol in front of me, teasing me and saying I want it or that it will make me feel better. I feel so betrayed by several of them - it was always me getting people to bed when they have gotten a bit too much, guiding them through bad trips, gotten them home safely and so on.

Is there any way to tell people that this is actually serious? Has anyone else tried the same reaction from others?
I keep reading about how the support from friends and family is the most important, but I think I'm gonna have to do this on my own.