View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
regeneration

Highbottom, it's a relief (for me, pls don't take it the wrong way) to read your post.

I found it hard in AA initially as my drinking fairly similar to yours (I did have the odd bender every few weeks where I got up to a bottle of wine or so, and every few months a couple). But the longest gap I'd had in 18 years was a week... I don't think drinking most days was helping me emotionally.

I struggled at first as I came from a family where alcoholism involved crashing cars into trees and whisky in the morning.

I had no physical symptoms. But I knew it was killing me spiritually and emotionally, had an very strong inkling that if I stopped my underlying depression would get better.

And it did, really amazing. It took 2 months though, I'm at 3 months now and still getting there. I found it a lot easier at first to stop worrying about whether I was an alcoholic and just think "I need to not drink and this sober time has proved to me I need to stay stopped". I listened to a guy yesterday do a chair who said "it's not the way you drink it's what it does to you and what it does emotionally to you that counts, that's what causes you problems".

Good luck, I'd give it a chance if I was you, you seem to be doing well.