Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
IAmAbstinent

Guys Im feeling rather torn now...

I relapsed on monday after my beast having planned it for a good while. Now my issue with AVRT is that it says you should jsut lump any hardship that comes with resolving not to use again. For me this I found just built up my stress more and more- even though drugging causes me WAY more stress- does that just mean I should have stronger will power? The stress certainly wasnt 'imagined'.

Ive felt awful all week.

Now in my despair I contacted the local drug treatment centre. Im kind of torn cos part of me agrees that I dont want that to become a crutch but another part of me thinks that avrt didnt work for me because it doesnt suggest replacing you old behaviours with new more constructive ones which the treatment centre seems to advocate.

I was reading their blurb and it says its based partly on CBT which Ive been reading recently and find to be very rational in itself.

So Im not sure what to do- I agree wtih some of the things they say about working on getting new activities and such and that is what they will work with me to do but still dislike the idea of them becoming a crutch. The advisor on the phone told me they will teach me skills on how to be independant and it gives me the opportunity to speak to others who are already abstinent and learn from them.

So not sure what to do? The main problem for me is I isolate myself in my house so think that it would be good just to get out of the house and speak to ppl who have gone through similar issues. Im also wary of them being a crutch too tho.

So I still agree with the basic premise of avrt however dont agree you shouldnt work on replacing it with other stuff as being one of the main underpinnings of continued abstinence. I sort of agree with parts of each.

I said to myself I should at least go to one session to be able to get an informed decision of what its all about.

Maybe I should also inquire in the other forums.