Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Aussiebutterfly
Recovered with AVRT

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
Although I tend to be a purist as far as AVRT is concerned, and personally find AA and AVRT irreconcilable, I also view AA as a lifestyle. They appropriately call it "the AA way of life" even in their own literature. Some people apparently like that lifestyle, and I won't try to dissuade you from going. If you've read the Rational Recovery book, you are making an informed decision, and you will inevitably draw your own conclusions.
Well said Dalek! Yes each to their own as long as they don't drink/use but the recovery isn't needed if you are recovered.

I for one couldn't wait to tell my sponsor I wasn't coming back to any more meetings the minute I learned of AVRT & I did my Big Plan because now I knew I didn't have to depend apon anything else but myself to stay off the drink. Before that I just thought it was AA or die, didn't know about any alternative.

It was also a relief to know I didn't have to fumble through the steps anymore always wondering if I'd done them well enough to stay sober and then knowing that I'd be doing them again in the future...like a never ending melody of meetings, steps and reading/discussing something that almost killed me. Not fun.

Do you have any family or hobbies that could fill your time with instead Hypo? I've started taking care of myself better by spending time walking and learning to heal my body to any damage the drinking did through eating well. I'm enjoying researching it all online, bit of a hobby for me now.