Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking4ward

Simplyfab, I don't know if this will be apropos, but it's helped me in thinking about this the last week or so. I'm reading this book on Buddhism and in the first chapter, there is a young man plagued by Dispassion and begs to be relieved of it by some Buddhist sages. Dispassion is, I have taken to be, the feeling of "Why bother," or "What's there to live for," or "Why should I try to be any better?"
These have always been feelings that have plagued me and sometimes allowed me to engage in destructive behavior.
I'm changing that now (Thank G-d!), with the help of my 12-steps, but also my meditation practice and the group I meet with to discuss texts like the one I'm describing.
Anyway, in the story, the Buddhist sage replies that the Only way to find salvation is to start from a point of Dispassion. So, looked at in this light, we are on a spiritual path, but one does not have the desire to Truly find spiritualism until one has come to find their place of Dispassion, or "Hit one's bottom".
I think, though, now it is up to us to continue on the road to spiritual awakening knowing we are more sensitive to the Dispassion of this world.
I don;t know, that's been helping me, at least!