View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bristolgirl07

The harm in occasional recreational use?

Hi all
I’ve been doing a lot of reading about cocaine in the last few weeks to try to understand what happened with my recent ‘relationship’ a bit better. It’s very difficult for me to understand still.

I keep reading about recreational users who can take coke/other drugs on a regular basis and their use of it is controlled – i.e. it doesn’t progress beyond a once a week or couple of times a month habit, and eventually they might grow out of it (which is what my older brother eventually did). The guy that I was seeing was a high functioning recreational user and I wasn’t around long enough to see if his drug use had any major impact on his moods and on the rest of his life. Both my brothers - and this guy - had heavier use when younger that seems to have declined with age so I don't think he'll progress beyond how he is now.

I guess my question is to those who have more experience than me – does the occasional use of drugs really have an impact on someone? I didn’t ask this guy not to take drugs so it wasn’t something we ever argued about but he knew I was shocked when he told me about the family occasions when he’d taken it. Occasional use didn’t bother me as long as it didn’t impact on me. The only thing that would have annoyed me is him changing plans because he was too “wrecked” (his words) to come over to visit, which he did twice in the time I was seeing him.

To those who will tell me to focus on myself…I am trying…I’ve signed up for tennis coaching and tonight I am taking part in a 10k run in the mud and rain here in England. I nearly pulled out but decided to go for it as training for it over the last few weeks has given me something else to think about.