View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Sorry you're feeling alone Flicked. If I was you I'd make the most of being in an educational institution while you can. You don't have to tell people you have a problem with alcohol, just stick to hanging out with people in the day, and if they ask you out to a bar just say it's not your thing. You can reinvent yourself any which way you want. I bet there are many young people out there who aren't booze hounds, it's just (if you're anything like me) you're probably drawn to the drinkers.

But that said, maybe you should work on being comfortable alone too. Friends are great but don't just use them to run away from yourself. If loneliness is a trigger maybe it's best to work on why rather than just avoid loneliness forever. AA will probably help with that But just because the people there are older than you doesn't mean that they are different in any way. Most of my friends are in their 50s (I'm 30) and that doesn't make any difference to our relationship, they just happen to be into the same stuff as me. Be proud that you got to the stage of quitting now when you're so young x