Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
sandra756

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Post on the gratitude threads everyday for the first month or two.

Remember how difficult quitting is, so that you never put yourself through it AGAIN.
These really helped me too. I:

- made a daily list (and kept updating it throughout the day) of gratitude
- made a daily list (and kept updating it throughout the day) of ways I am taking care and loving myself (and 'not drinking') was a recurring item, and how life is better
- I remembered the person I was, and made goals for the year (do a 5k run-race, meditate an hour a day, lose weight and feel sexy again, learn filmmaking etc etc)
- I was in a difficult situation with my partner then, and I used that anger to fuel my own recovery
- I found support in groups
- Everytime I wanted to drink, I just kept thinking 'Why throw away your 28 (or whatever) days? Remember how hard it was to quit?'
- *I TRULY believe that I am an alcoholic, that if I took that first drink, I can't stop nor be 'normal' (not matter how much I wanted- each relapse convinced me more)

What made me relapsed (that NOW I am doing differently):

- being complacent (after some weeks, I try to question * above)
- during my long travel business trips, I didn't have a different plan nor anticipate the different situations
- not having MORE support

I am only on Day 4, but I am on another travel trip when I usually relapse, so I am being even more vigilant than ever. It is a moment to moment battle, but not so much 'not drinking' as total recovery, which I consider a spiritual journey. And that is a beautiful opportunity that non-alkies might miss...