Thread: Pub and pop.
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Peter G

Originally Posted by Nigel1969 View Post
It's to see if I can accomplish it or not. Part of my goals, to find out how strong or weak I can be.
Nigel, I'm gonna word this in exactly the same way I had it given to me when I first joined this forum, so as a qualifier, this post will be blunt....

Good luck with your goal (quoted above), the next time you decide to test things out. I'm here to tell ya that at 7 days sober, going to a pub to "see if I can accomplish it" was a profoundly dumb thing to do. Don't know if anyone else has mentioned that yet because I haven't read the entire thread, but I really hope you're not just getting the "support at all cost" stuff, considering. Someone really should be concerned enough with your leaps of ill-logic to tell you what kind of a knucklehead move that was. So if no one has done that yet, here's me doing it.

Throwing yourself into negligible situations early in recovery is not just risky, it's irresponsible, and the exact opposite of what you need to be concentrating on with only 7 days of sobriety. It's what a few I know would call 'Obvious Fail #1'.

Tell me how you'd react if someone new posted this Nigel...

"Hey guys, I was attacked by a bear not long ago. He tore off my leg. BUT, I've been out of the hospital a few hours now and my crutches work fine. I think it's a great idea to go ahead and find that bear again to see how much I can poke it in the eye before it rears up and tears my other leg off. Any advice on finding the bear?"

Perspective is everything.

Again, sue me for being blunt, and you have my permission to go mental on this post and me with all sots of pejorative ranting against what you may consider an unnecessarily rude reply. But a spade will be a spade no matter how you try and rationalize your logic to me or anyone else here. You need to know that, under no uncertain terms, if you have a propensity for being bitten by sharks, it's a really, really BAD idea to sign up for surfing and scuba lessons ... for a while at least.

Just try and remember a few of us here have a bit of tenure with this whole drinking thing, and as such we are kinda hip to what works and what doesn't. And your approach as detailed in this thread? Like I said... good luck with that.

Here's the thing; when I was new here and acting all "I need to see if I can handle it", I had my a$$ handed to me. I wish those veterans were still posting now because they'd also be in this thread tearing you a new one - as they did me. Truth be told I'm damned glad I got a smack down back then. Saved my sobriety later down the road. You're dealing with something known to be extremely and profoundly cunning, baffling, and powerful. Pick your battles more wisely com-padre, or it won't be long before someone is picking you up off the floor, or tagging your toe. Do not underestimate the power of alcohol to absolutely destroy your very best laid and most well intended plans.

As another qualifier Nigel, I don't know your story nor how far along you are in the progression of your drinking problem. I wish I had time to read this thread and some more about you. Having said that, if you're even approaching the colossally bad spots that come in step with progressive boozing, it's like this: purposefully placing yourself in tempting situations is no test at all. It's just one more exercise in alcoholic insanity, and diametrically opposite of the right goals.

Sure you managed this time. This time. It only takes the devil asking you to dance a few times before you end up lacing up the shoes and discoing the night away.