View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Petunia
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Rella,

Can you think of the restraining order as something you are doing for yourself, rather than something you are doing to him? In reality it is a detachment action - something you are doing for yourself.

And on the money thing - please consider some advice that a friend offered to me when I left my ex-ABF and he wanted the money I "owed" him for a few things against the months he would stay at my house without expense because I was too weak at the time to set boundaries and tell him to leave or to cough up some money for expenses.

There is nothing that says when you split up with someone that you owe them anything. Healthy folks go into a relationship knowing that there is a risk on what they are investing. Sick folks go in expecting they can make a temporary investment and they can take it all back when it doesn't work out. That isn't the way life works.

Surprisingly when I finally told the exABF that I wouldn't pay him a dime he stopped asking for it. Must have said it with enough conviction that he realized he wasn't gonna get it back - or some of his other stuff either. I had to decide to not focus any more energy on figuring out what was his so I could pile it up and give it to him - b/c all that did was keep him in my mind/life/world which was exactly what he wanted but exactly what I didn't want.

Life and relationships don't guarantee equity. Some times you need to walk away from something and accept the loss - financially, emotionally, spiritually and move on.

You are worth getting the restraining order - it is for you not against him. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Peace,
Petunia