Thread: Power of Choice
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tomsteve

[QUOTE=Route164;3433390]Hi group!
I am curious how others interpret or use the following passage in their spiritual life.

"The fact is that most alcoholics have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically non-existent ."

My Step One left me convicted that i cannot keep myself clean and sober; even sober I am powerless over picking up that first drink.

I "choose" to enlarge my spiritual life and my relationship with God, basically live the steps and completely let God solve the drink problem.

I asked an old timer today at a meeting what people mean when they say they "stay away from the first drink" or choose to not drink. He told me "sure, we have a choice." If we have a choice why continue to go to meetings?

A guy asked me to sponsor him and I want to make sure I am clear on this. I feel like if I have a choice I dont need to be in AA. I surrender the problem COMPLETELY to God, I cease fighting alcohol all together. If I can wake up and keep myself clean and sober there really is no need for me to be in AA. I also consoder myself recovered. The great paradox !

you say in the openeing that you cannot keep yourself clean and sober. you say near the end "if" you can keep yourself clean and sober. your thinking got you to the point you went to AA and your thinking aint gonna get ya sober.

what are you recovered from?
i go to meetings to help others and see what happens to people that stop goin to meetings.