View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please look for this pamphlet on the Literature Rack. In the meantime you can read it on line:

http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

When I got my first sponsor, she had 13 years in, she told me that she was there to 'guide' me through the steps and to share with me how she did it.

That is what we worked on at first. Yes, I called her just about every day (I was not perfect, lol) because she asked me to. I figured out later (when I started sponsoring) that this was a good way for her to see how well I would follow directions.

As our relationship continued (she was my sponsor for 18 1/2 years until her death) it changed a lot. We became really good friends, her and her hubby (also a recovering A, and sometimes she would send me to him, when I was being too hard headed for her, lol). At times they were like my brother and sister, my parents, and they played "Devil's Advocate" with me a lot. I ADORED them both, and will be forever grateful for their guidance and friendship.

My next sponsor was my grand sponsor (Bev's Sponsor) and I had her until her death, a little over 5 years. Now by the time Bev passed away, my needs for a sponsor were different than when I first got here, and Doris would listen as I 'bounced' a problem and then my solution off of her, and when I was done, would either say my solution was a good one, or add a few suggestions to it.

After her demise I did not get another sponsor. However, I have many friends with my length of sobriety or more and we talk to each other, and 'bounce' problems and solutions off of each other. Plus, I do sponsor a lot, so ..................................... I would say, go talk to your sponsor about what you have posted and see if you two can come to a resolution of how to improve this relationship and really start digging into the steps so those 'thoughts' (the alcoholic voice or Kind Alcohol) will again be put on the back burner and eventually be only a 'fleeting thought' once in a great while.

J M H O

Love and hugs,