View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

I love the parallels between Buddhism and recovery. I posted this back in 2008. Seems like this is a good thread to revive it in.

This too shall pass........
I always thought of this as one of the somewhat trite, but useful 12-step slogans designed to help when times are tough.

I’ve read “A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle, and have been watching the webcasts with Oprah on Monday nights. This past Monday, they discussed this phrase and it’s meaning. I learned that there is a much more profound meaning and usefulness to it than I ever knew.

“This too shall pass” can and should be applied to everything in life, because everything in life is transient. The only thing I can truly count on in life is change. People and relationships come and go, situations change, and I change.

Now, at first I thought how depressing to think that “this too shall pass” when things are going great and life is good. But, Tolle said that if you do not accept that things will change, especially when things are good, then you live in a place of fear. If you cling to the good parts of life, denying the inevitability of change, you can never truly enjoy with passion the things that are good. The dark cloud of fear will dampen your enthusiasm and enjoyment of the present moment unless you are at peace knowing that, no matter what is happening, “this too shall pass.” And all that clinging and fearfulness only causes more pain and suffering when things do change, as they inevitably will.

Here is a story to illustrate the point.

From the Zen Master Achaan Chah "At a gathering of students one person asked him to explain the Buddha's teaching. He motioned to a glass sitting to the side of him. "Do you see this glass?" he asked. "I love this glass. It holds water admirably. When the sun shines on it, it reflects the light beautifully. When I tap it, it has a lovely ring. Yet for me, this glass is already broken. When the wind knocks it over or my elbow knocks it off the shelf and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, 'Of course'. When I understand that this glass is already broken, every minute with it is precious.
So, not only do I see how this phrase can help me when I've hit a rough spot, but now I see how it can be applied to all of my life. WOW! I just wanted to share as this has been my AHA for the week.

L