View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
countrycasual

This thread is very timely for me. It will be 5 years this year since my husband and I quit drinking. But recently he said he "misses having a beer with supper".
I don't think it's so much the alcohol as the social aspect of it. Our friends disappeared into thin air when we told them we quit, muttering things like "well that f.....g sucks".
My husband wouldn't attend meetings of any kind, because he didn't want anyone to know that he had quit. He's on the road 6 days a week with work and when he is home doesn't want to do anything. I understand that he's tired but I feel obligated to stay home with him when he's here. We've been to two family weddings recently and he was not wanting to attend and started to complain about being there as soon as supper was over. He doesn't "dance" anymore; doesn't play cards anymore.

I asked the my Rehab counsellor how to get him interested in a social life once we had quit drinking. All she could tell me back then was to take "baby steps". Well, it's been 5 years and I'm sick of waiting.
This thread has some great suggestions, but I guess what I would like to ask for are suggestions on how to motivate my spouse to find a life.
Thanks.