View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
UpperbucksAAguy

How Bill came to terms with God

I had always believed in a Power greater than myself. I had often pondered these things. I was not an atheist. Few people really are, for that means blind faith in the strange proposition that this universe originated in a cipher and aimlessly rushes nowhere. My intellectual heroes, the chemists, the astronomers, even the evolutionists, suggested vast laws and forces at work. Despite contrary indications, I had little doubt that a mighty purpose and rhythm underlay all. How could there be so much of precise and immutable law, and no intelligence? I simply had to believe in a Spirit of the Universe, who knew neither time nor limitations. But that was as far as I had gone.
With ministers, and the world’s religions, I parted right there. (BB page 10)

Why was Bill willing to believe in Science with only minimal proof?

Why did his mind close to the God idea posed by religion?

I read in Bill's story that he is simply making a comparison based on his own experience, interpreted completely by him. Scientific progress was seen all around him. Turn a light switch on and the room lights up. He did not need to know anymore.

"The wars which had been fought, the burnings and chicanery that religious dispute had facilitated, made me sick. I honestly doubted whether, on balance, the religions of mankind had done any good." (BB page 11)

Based on what Bill had experienced, he felt safe in disregarding anything religious folks had to offer.

Bill needed a new experience- In walks Ebby....

Reading the rest of the first 164 we see the result in Bill's changed heart. His past had now become his greatest tool in reaching millions of alcoholics.

"We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it." (BB page 83)