View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FireSprite

New to the Forum & Thank You

Hello SR Network!

I just registered to the forum today but have been lurking & reading & learning here for about the last 10 months or so. I have learned SO much in reading about all of your experiences & at times it has been a great comfort as my husband & I make our way through his battle with alcohol. Sometimes just knowing that you aren't alone or going crazy is enough to keep a person sane & I've come to see this forum as a stand-in for the therapy I'm not currently able to fit into my active life in any other way. I figured if I'm viewing this as therapy then I need to start interacting at some point, and not just participate as an observer.

So thank you ALL just for being here.

I am also ACOA & I have come to terms with my dad's drinking over my lifetime; I'm lucky that he was able to get sober in the last 5 years of his life & we were able to repair a lot of emotional damage.

However, despite my ACOA status, I somehow missed a lot of signs when it came to my own marriage. When my husband sat me down & told me he had realized he was an alcoholic, I was shocked. The circumstances & situations are SO different but now I realize that so many of the alcoholic traits were hiding in plain sight and because of those subtle differences I wasn't seeing them for what they really are. (Does that make any sense??)

I am happy to report that my AH has now maintained his sobriety for 10 months (as of last week) and is working his program through AA. We are not living in 'crisis' mode any longer and working together to repair our lives; emotionally, physically & financially. He managed to do significant damage in all these areas in such a relatively short time. (don't they all??) We both still struggle with putting things back together (obviously) & we're still working out issues but so far we managed to handle it with some respect & rediscover love for each other that we thought was dying or dead. We have an almost 8-year old DD & have been as honest with her throughout this process as possible.

I have no problems sharing our 'story' but this introduction is long enough already. (Feel free to ask any questions, I'm not shy.) I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you before I just jump in & start posting.

Thanks again for sharing all of your lives with me online. You'll never know how much you've all helped me get through my darkest, scariest days.