Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GridLock99

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Hi, I suffer from clinical depression. I don't discuss my antidepressant use inside the rooms. I consider it an outside issue. When depressed I just mention I'm going through a tough time and then speak of the solution. My sponsor considers it the same so we don't need to discuss it. We discuss the program., solution and big book.
I do understand that perspective - But found problems with it all.

Primarily that I can't separate out the 2 things to such a high degree; it's all entwined into my life & experiences; & all I really have is my experiences. I found that I couldn't find a deeper resolution to things 'simply' using the 12 step framework; it wasn't enough & didn't get to the core of things. In many ways I feel that it negates a lot of the healing of our deeper traumas. But this is my personal view.

Any attempt to broach these subjects; & either everything is down to drug use & addiction, & the prescribed medication is using; or suddenly people are expert Doctors, psychologists & psychiatrists - it all got too much; it almost killed me & I've seen it kill some people (especially those that are coerced/forced/persuaded to stop medications; & it very much goes on). I also could no longer take the clichéd explanations; like 'your not working the steps hard enough/properly' etc.

As a basis for certain principles & building up some clean time it worked. But it was in many ways making me more mad/ill as well. I did thousands of meetings, worked through all the steps with 3 sponsors; read most of all the AA & NA literature - & did everything that was suggested - it didn't work, beyond 'basic' sobriety.

I haven't totally rejected it all; it did help in ways, & I know that it does help some people more than others. I agree with some of the 12 step viewpoints, but I also agree with some of the orange papers (although not all of it as well).

I have a lot of opinions on it all.