Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

I don't drink. It's been many many years since I've actually had a drink. So no, I don't drink in front of my kids.
BUT...
I admit that in my younger more innocent days, I drank a lot. Mostly in high school and now and then when I got out of high school.
However, having watched my husband's life fall apart around him, having watched my brother lose everything he's worked so hard for, as well as watched other people I knew fall, I knew that I never wanted my life to be like that.
Also, when my kid's were very small, I knew that I had to be the responsible parent. I couldn't - wouldn't - take the chance of having one moment of bad judgement due to alcohol. And now that they are older, I can tell you that my AH caused a lot of pain and heartbreak in their lives. So I wouldn't drink in front of them now even if I wanted too.

I think in many cases (especially when the children are younger), it's not as big of an issue if you had a drink without getting drunk around them. They don't understand. But when the kid's get older and they see their parents drinking when one has a problem (or both), I do think it gives them the impression that it's okay.
And no, I'm not a prude. I hate to admit it, but I do smoke in front of my kids. They've heard me swear like a sailor and seen me have a few major out of body experiences.

In hindsite, for myself, I have to say that I'm very lucky. Alcoholism runs in my family. Out of my brother and I, my brother is an alcoholic. Neither one of my parents drink but during my brother's rehab the counselor did tell my mom she acts like an alcoholic. She has the "ism's" of it.
Out of my 3 children, I worry most about my oldest. He is so much like his Dad, and idolizes his father as well. He also drank a beer with his dad this past summer (though there are some questions about that incident) but I do worry that my son will take it as a "bonding" of sorts. Not just with his Dad, but also an in-general type of male bonding thing. Ya know?

Oops, just realized that I"m rambling. sorry.