Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lifewithouthim

The day my husband died (2 months ago), I was in Canada, he was in North Carolina. I was worried about him, had talked to him the night before and he mentioned he had been throwing up blood (3rd day detoxing and he was alone at our house). I urged him to call an ambulance and get to the hospital but he then said he was feeling a bit better. I had to leave it up to him to decide what to do since I was so far away. I worried about him but that was all I could do - and hope he was telling me the truth. The next day I was unable to reach him, so after trying for hours, I checked the hospitals (by phone) and when they had no record of him, I looked up the local NC police number, called them and asked them to do a 'wellness check'. They went right over. Unfortunately for my husband, they were too late. They had to break into the house and found his body.

At any rate, I was out of the country and I managed easily to get in contact with the sheriff's office. I could not have called '911' from there but it is easy, if you know where someone lives, to call the local authorities. Right after I found out that my husband died, I had to try to reach my sister-in-law in Texas to let her know - but though I found her address online, I could not find her phone number, so once again, I called the local police in her area (found their number online too), and they were able to go over to her house for me.