Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
harry101

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
I am reading "The Art of AVRT," since it has a section on smoking. Chapter 7 in the book is called "The Big Gun," and it deals with the morality of drinking/using. The "big gun" is moral judgment.

Without judging anyone else, it asks two big questions:
  1. Considering all of your experience with alcohol and other drugs, is it right or wrong for you to drink/use in the moral sense?

2. How would you rate your drinking/using on a scale of immorality? Way down on the bottom? Near the top?
I don't think it's absolutely necessary to regard drinking/using as morally wrong in order to use AVRT to quit, although it is a very strong motivating factor if you do happen to find it morally wrong.

I quit drinking for increased health and happiness and to be free of dependence on the drug.

Luckily, my drinking didn't have any negative effects on others, so I never regarded it as morally wrong.

(BTW, Wouldn't it be unnecessary to use the moral arguments as motivators after a Big Plan has been made? If the option to drink/use has been removed no motivators are required.)