View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

aeo...if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were my wife. But I do know better. I have 15 yr old twins and a 16 yr old. Our finances are very tight as well. I understand the angst you felt, even if it came out wrong.

But I'm thankful to you and all the other responders here for the reminder that anger issues are all part of the package of alcoholism (heck, even part of being human), and can be worked through with recovery programs. Since I quit drinking, my anger and rage has gone from 1000% to 100%. And I'm happy with 100%, because its within normal limits, although at the high end. My wife, who still drinks, but less than when I was there to goad her on, has also become less of an angry person. Sobriety and recovery are solely responsible. And we are angry people. Our kids have started to come out of their shells since not everything is a shouting match anymore.

My point is that it gets better. Don't beat yourself up for your reaction. Just learn by it, and give yourself time. And I totally agree with the advice to have a talk with your daughter. I do that frequently with my kids now when either I've lost it or their mother has. They have often taken the opportunity to share things with me that I don't know I would have heard otherwise.

I also use prayer for my anger and that of others in the house. It helps me. There's a book called "The Dance of Anger" that has helped my household as well.

Peace. And thanks for sharing!