View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aeo1313
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by EXM6 View Post
I've never been to AA and have considered it just because I'm sure, living in a small town, I would see people that I'd never dream of seeing there... and that would give me some hope. However, have only considered it now as a realistic possibility -- I use to think I was the crazy person, I've never seen anyone be like me when they're drinking.

I just can't fathom, walking into my first meeting. I'm 30, but look like I'm 12 -- I'm sure I'd look like this scared little girl to everyone. I went to detox once and this was the reaction I got, a bunch of pat's on the head and "you'll be fine." It made it easier to drink the next time. Now I know I should be there -- people don't get DUI's and assault charges from incidents they don't remember because they're "fine." I'd like to go to AA, but the thought of going alone deters me. Any advice?
I don't have any great advise. For me it is very easy to walk into new situations...they don't worry me too much. Just know that everyone in that meeting had to walk into the room for the first time. I have cried many times in meetings and no one stares or thinks anything of it. Most of the people are so warm and caring and welcoming. These people want you to be there...they want to see you recover and it helps them in their recovery. I hope you try a meeting...