Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dbh

Hello JB!

Welcome to SoberRecovery. I'm glad that you found us.

My father was the alcoholic in my life. It took me many years before I was willing to accept this fact and not feel ashamed about it. It also took me awhile before I realized how deeply I was affected by my dysfunctional family.

My "recovery" consisted of lots of reading, journaling, therapy, some meetings, and participating in groups like this one. It is amazing the healing affect just telling your story can have on you.

You are definitely not alone.

I'd like to second the comment about trying multiple meetings. It also took me awhile to find a therapist that I connected with. The therapist that I worked the most with specialized in addiction and dysfunctional families.

I didn't start regularly attending meetings until I was in my 40s. Sometimes I think that it takes awhile for individuals to reach out for help and realize that they can't "fix" themselves on their own (boy did I try!). Who knows, maybe if you start to regularly attend a meeting you might encourage the next young person that walks through the door to stay

Welcome again. There's lots of information and support here. Hope it helps you on your own recovery journey.

Take Care,

db