Thread: Two weeks today
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bulldawger

Two weeks today

Today marks two weeks since I have been sober. The first week was not too bad, the second was much harder. The way I have dealt with stress ever since I was in my teens was to drink, and usually drink a lot. The next day I would feel bad, but my focus would be more on the drinking than whatever thing I was stressing about.

There has been a fair amount stuff going on this past week that has been stressful. I had such a strong urge to drink, but I don't have any alcohol in the house, and I used all my willpower not to go buy any. We were out of milk for 3 days because the dairy case at the grocery store is at the end of the wine aisle, and I just didn't think I could walk down it without putting a bottle in my cart (I did eventually get some milk, but I got only milk, so no cart to load up with wine).

My husband was the one who gave me the ultimatum that I had to stop drinking. Yet who is the source of most of my stress? He has really been a jerk this week, especially toward our 11 year old son, and it is really bothersome. I have been on the verge of saying "and you wonder why I want to drink all the time!?!?", but I know I can't blame him. I have actually been fairly rational about things when I talk to him about what is going on, and I am not sure he likes it very much! I guess he has to learn he to deal with a sober wife, who is stronger than the old drunk wife.

I have been reading this forum several times a day and it has really provided me with the strength and encouragement to remain sober. There are so many threads here that I completely identify with and could have written, and so much good advice given on this threads.