View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learningtodeal

Question for the recovered addicts

My bf is an opiate addict. He was on OCs for a while and then escalated to shooting H. Got clean off that but only by substituting it with alcohol and snorting Adderall. Then felt like relapsing and instead started scoring subutex from a friend. He eventually started going to a doc for a script. He convinced his doc to prescribe subutex instead of suboxone. He's been snorting the subutex in large quantities. Buying more on top of what his doc prescribes. He's recently decided to get clean and detox this weekend. He says he's doing it for himself because he wants to be clean. But, he's certainly not in a joyful place about it. I've made it clear that I'm leaving him if he doesn't get clean immediately. His best friend is refusing to talk to him until hes clean. I think he feels forced into this, which is fine by me as long as he gets clean. We have a daughter and he needs to be clean for her if nothing else.

Anyway, tonight he started spouting off that me and everyone else need to realize that he will be the same person clean as he is right now although he will have a lower tolerance for our "BS". So I'd better get that through my head because he certainly won't be going to meetings or continue to see his therapist.

Are these merely the rantings of an addict or am I holding out hope for nothing? If he does get clean, is this a relapse waiting to happen? I just need to prepare myself for what's to come and I'm looking for input from anyone who has been there and back. Right now, he is an angry guy with a lot of resentment towards me and I hope that this doesn't continue to be the way things go.