Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TimeInABottle

Originally Posted by F355 View Post
I have read elsewhere that when you drink heavily for extended periods of time, your pancreas gets into the habit of releasing extra large doses of insulin to combat all that excess sugar. So if one quits drinking heavily the pancreas might still excrete more insulin than necessary resulting in hypoglycemia.

Has anyone else heard this, or experienced anything like this themselves?

I'm not asking for medical advice, just curious what everyone else out there has experienced.

I'll be getting to see a doc soon, as I have been experiencing some strange symptoms lately. If I don't eat enough during the day, I find that I'll have an episode where I'm a little dizzy/panicky/shaky until I eat a meal or consume food with high contents of sugar.

I have also found that I can no longer tolerate caffeine too well, it seems to put me into the same state as described above.

Whatever the cause, and after I see a doc, I hope that my body will return back to normal within a reasonable time.

This is very common. Alcohol is a lot of sugar. Weeks/months/years of abuse will of course put your pancreas in overdrive. This is part of the reason when heavy drinkers quit drinking, we crave sugar.

As part of detox, B.S (blood sugar) as well as sometimes Insulin levels are closley monitored.

T.I.A.B