View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by gplmdyw View Post
Her life is her life. This should be of no concern to you, except for you to have some compassion for her - that she's having such a hard time being honest. Underneath her smile etc is probably a terrified little girl who wants so badly to be real.

Also, this is not uncommon, and most people eventually tell the group the truth (and damn is it hard) and laugh about it a year later. Don't worry. Don't judge.
The other thing is that at the end of the day, it does not matter what someone else is saying about us. They can say what they like -- and if it manages to convince some fellow AAs that we're crazy, so freaking what? She's only fooling herself, going to AA, collecting medallions, and drinking on the side. I'm sure most of the people in her AA group see right through her anyway -- they probably used to do the same thing, and although she thinks she's fooling them, she really isn't.

I keep reminding myself that it really isn't all about me -- not that many people really care what I'm doing on a given day, what meds I take, what I'm doing with my life (as opposed to what I "should" be doing), and all that. Those people out there are more concerned with themselves than with me -- which, of course, is as it should be!

T