Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I am curious to read other people's experiences because honestly I never understood how this could be useful.

I never felt like I wanted my spouse in meeting with me. I felt it was a hindrance to my own anonymity and that of others to have him there.

And honestly when people brought their spouses who were not addicts with them, I felt they were either being "watched" by their spouse, or that they were showcasing about how supportive and understanding their spouse was to the rest of us.

I felt that having my spouse there would have been a distraction for me, and having someone else's there (when they made it clear that's who the person was and that is why they were there" was a distraction to the entire meeting.

I came to the meetings to be in a group of recovering addicts, not to prove to someone's spouse how messed up we are, how "not unique" their spouse is and how gosh darned hard we are all working to recover, so give your partner another chance.

I am sure that I went to meetings where there were spouses, partners, moms, brothers etc there, but they didn't identify as such and it was not a problem. but when someone introduced themselves and their "supportive husband/wife", I felt really uncomfortable.

probably just showing my immaturity, but that is how I felt.