Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
QueenOfSwords

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
Your son has him pegged, he and your other children see what you refuse to see, the truth.

If he really wants recovery he will crawl to meetings, you are already jumping back in the fire and IMHO you will get burned once again.

Your therapist is right on the mark, you'll probably be hopping back in the bed with him...most likely before your next session with the therapist.

It's your life, your choice, however, you have a minor child to consider, your actions directly affect all your children.
Here are some truths truth I see:

1. He's an alcoholic. He may or may not stay sober. Based on what I'm reading here, probably not.

2. I love him, and he loves me. Someone suggested in my other thread that he may be a sociopath taking advantage of an older woman but that is NOT the truth. I appreciate the concern, but I've known him for 5 years, probably better than anyone on the planet at this point. He's not a sociopath. He's a nice guy with a big problem.

3. I see that I'm caught in a codependent cycle. I went back and read my first post and I sounded angry and hurt and DONE. Clearly I'm not, and I've repeated this pattern several times with him, so that's a problem. But that doesn't mean I don't really love him or that our relationship is not viable if he stays sober.

4. My actions do affect my children. That's the main reason I told him he can't be in my home anymore if he's been drinking.

5. My therapist also told me that we have something solid to build on--a good foundation of friendship, affection, and great communication. She told me there's hope, as long as he's in a recovery program.

So the truth as I understand it is that I'm in a really complicated, heartbreaking situation for which there are no easy answers, which is why I'm here. What exactly is it that you think I'm refusing to see?