View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
reggiewayne

That is what I found so comforting when I walked into AA. Somebody finally understood the misery I put myself through and it was so nice talking to others that carried the same burden. The difference between them and me was sobriety. Some of these guys had 6 months, or 4 years, or 20 years but yet I knew they were legit by hearing them discuss what it was like.

I never could figure out why I didn't drink like other people. I had two friends that drank way more than me, and everyone else drank less. I was either judging the two that drank more saying "What a couple of drunks. They should slow down". Or I was saying to the majority that didn't drink like me "You guys are lame, live a little, let's get after it, etc..."

What I see in AA is a group of people that would not normally mix. You have literally all cross sections of life but what binds us together are our stories. Today I was at a meeting and there was a 60 something year old lady who was describing what it was like when she drank and it was literally like she was in my head. I identified with her completely.

When I drink, I'm living a lie. The lie that this time it will be different. That this time I won't drink that stuff, with those people, at those places, during that time of day. Every single time I get the same results.

You are not alone man. Keep coming here and reaching out. Nobody understands an alcoholic like and alcoholic.

Best of luck!