View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CloudStrife

Alcoholic Sharing Experience

Last Wednesday I went to the emergency room because I couldnt handle dealing with my alcoholism anymore. I had been binging too many weeks and my anxiety was insane. I am a 29 year old guy crying in a hospital emergency room because of what my alcoholism has done to me.
I'm 29 and I've been drinking since I was 18. Always had a problem, I never know when to stop drinking- drinking when bored, etc. Within the past year my drinking has become worse. When I'm not working I like to isolate myself inside my apartment and drink.
When I went to the hospital it was wierd to actually talk to other people about my drinking and they understood and were not judgemental.
It was the first push I needed to get help. They helped me find a facility nearby.
My biggest fear was that noone would understand my drinking or would not want to help me... (especially as a guy).
But people care and as soon as you open up and are honest things begin to feel so much better.
I have admitted to several people in the past week that I am an alcoholic for the first time- and while its hard, everyone has been so helpful and understanding.

People DO understand what you are going through.
There are people that can help you.

Ive only been sober for a week but for me this has been a game changer:
-admitting to others I have an alcohol problem
-joining a recovery program