View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by ODAT63 View Post
The big book talsk about being 100% honest, however some alcoholics hold anger, resentment, guilt for years in sobrierty, are they doom to relapse?
The book does talk about "rigorous honesty" being essential in this way of life. Those words had a profound effect on me when I first came in. But later, when we get to step 4, we list dishonesty, resentment, fear, selfishness and self seeking as major character defects.
Later again we become willing to have God remove these defects and still later, we humbly ask Him to remove our short comings. Note that the removal of character defects is something that God does for us, not something we can do for ourselves. We become willing, and we pray he will remove them, but the speed of the process is in Gods hands, not ours. AA isn't a self improvement program after all.

When I see someone who "should know better" struggling with a resentment, perhaps he wants it that way (a character defect he is not yet willing to give up), or maybe God is not ready to remove it just yet, maybe there is a lesson to be learned. Either way it's between him and God.

So for me, God first removed the obsession, then over time removed or reduced my character defects to the point where I can be sober and happy. I am not entirely fixed, but I have improved, and I keep asking for Him to keep working on me. I'm a work in progress, but none of the work is mine. God has been doing for me what I could not do for my self.