View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leemzer

Well, perhaps I could give you a different example. Alcohol was my least favorite substance from when I was a kid. But gradually, as I got older (I'm now 41), I gave up all of the other substances either to them causing anxiety, etc. When alcohol was the only thing left, I said to myself, "Well, you are NOT giving this up. There is NOTHING ELSE YOU DO, DAMN IT." Now here I am in an alcohol forum admitting I am an alcoholic. It is a drug, it changes the way you think, and even if you never EVER touch anything again (I have not had a cigarette in 15 years and have not smoked marijuana in 10 years and have not done other illegal drugs in about 7 years) the alcohol will eventually become THE one problem because it is THE one problem you have left. And then you will feel dumb, like me, and say to yourself, "But I never even LIKED it that much." Trust me, it is not worth it....you are truly seeking to get in a different frame of mine, and that is what you really need to explore.....and you really do seem like you are kind of asking permission for being "so good" these past 8 years....please think carefully like this and be grateful to have 8 amazing years of sobriety under your belt at 30. That is amazing. You quit everything at 22 when most of us had decades of heartache ahead of us....you can be spared that.......be very very careful. You DO already know the answer to this....you DO.