View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jitterbugg
Professional Drunk

Hi epskie,
I lost a fairly high earning job during the height of my alcoholism. That didn't stop me from spending and I began to live off my credit cards. After rent, every dime I had went to booze. I even went on vacation to Barbados (drank the whole time) on credit even though I had no income. Eventually, I had maxed out everything and had no savings, thus I declared bankruptcy. I have no debt now, but because of the bankruptcy, I can't find a job in my field, which, ironically, is finance. I was pissed drunk the entire time during my spending spree and now that I'm sober, I am left to pick up the pieces. The key thing is that I am sober and I can now make rational decisions. The bankruptcy will not appear on my credit report after 7 years (2015) and I have already established a secured credit card to reestablish a credit history.

I guarantee if you stay sober and make careful, rational spending decisions, your finances will improve. You situation can't be worse than mine was and I am slowly rebuilding my financial house back toward respectability.