View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
careering

don't know what the laws are in the UK -- in most US states, you can actually get the sheriff's department to come out (although where I live, they only stay for 15 minutes) if someone is trying to prevent you from moving out.
It's not so much that he would try to physically stop me - it's the usual emotional blackmail that As seem to excel in! My plan is now that he's got money and is back to drinking constantly is to do a flit whilst he's passed out in the afternoon. My friend have thankfully said they are happy to drop everything and help me shift asap, so that's good!

I just need to be strong and not waver when/if he straightens up for a couple of days - I need to remember that it's only ever temporary and that he'll soon revert to type.

I've not been to Alanon - unfortunately there's nothing close to where I live and even the nearest ones only seem to have sessions in the day when I'm at work. I do have counselling provided by work, so that has helped me understand my own behaviour and now I'm finally learning that I only have the power to change myself not him.

But this forum has been the biggest revelation - reading other people's stories and realising that I'm not alone and that many people are going through exactly what I'm going through. Because my AH only drinks beer and only ever drinks secretly (I've not seen him drink in 3 years!) I've found it hard to relate his alcoholism with the stereotypical A portrayed on TV (I've never had experience of alcoholism before), so this forum has really helped me - just wish I'd found it earlier!