Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
emmam

New to SR and to the idea of quitting - occasional binge drinker

Hi. I'm new to both this forum and to the idea of quitting drinking. I'm an occasional binge drinker, but the binge is never planned.

I regularly enjoy one or two beers with pizza or hot dogs or have a few beers at sporting events. I enjoy a good prix fixe dining experience with wine pairings and leave it at that. I have a glass of wine with dinner or dessert with my husband. I drink champagne at family parties all the time with no issues or over consumption. I can have a cocktail after work without it turning into a debacle.

But sometimes it is a problem. Sometimes I have little to no recollection of the night's events. Sometimes I go out with my husband and some friends and vomit in the bathroom sink, or in the car in the way home, or end up passed out and need to be carried out of the bar. Sometimes we have friends over to our place and I have to go upstairs early to empty my stomach into the toilet because I've had too much. Sometimes I'm so hungover the next day that we have to cancel travel plans. Sometimes I have too much and share intimate details that I wouldn't share sober. And sometimes is too often even if it's only a few times a year and I have no control over when the "sometime" will occur.

My problem with alcohol isn't consistent, but on the occasions it is a problem, it affects my life for days or weeks after. I feel depressed, my relationship feels like it takes a hit, my self esteem is shot, and I just feel emotionally lousy.

I enjoy the taste of alcohol, particularly when paired with food, so the idea of quitting is not very appealing to me. But since sometimes is too often for me (and the health of my relationship), I see few other options.

Is anyone else here an occasional binge drinker trying to quit?