Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
112408forever

My ABF who is in Rehab thinks he will be able to drink "normally" again

My Abf decided himself to go to rehab after having severe health problems the last couple months (really bad anxiety attacks, shaky hands, depression). he literally could not have gone one more day living at home, he was in terrible shape. He's been there for 2 weeks now. He is doing really good emotionally and mentally. And has had no health problems. The only thing is he doesn't like the 12 step program they use because he says its too religious. So he doesnt really take it too seriously. He thinks that after being in rehab for 30 days his body is rid of the alcohol and its like a fresh start. he knows hes an alcoholic but is in denial that this will be a life long battle. He thinks (and I know his intentions are good) that he will be able to have a few drinks on "special occasions" only. I have done research and know this is a disease in the brain and it is not as simple as that. I'd love if he could do that, but I am so scared he will relapse and wont be able to stop once he has a sip. I dont want to boss him around/ tell him what to do, I am not his mom. But what do I do if he wants to "try" drinking again when he gets out?

does anyone have experience with an A being able to drink normally again? I know every person is different, but Id love to hear some feedback/opinions on how to handle this topic when he is out of rehab