Thread: Quacking
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
changeschoices

Don't call his family. They may inititally be sympathetic, but they will most likely turn on your and blame you for everything. I speak from experience. He's a grown man. If he wants his family's help, or wants them to know what's going on, he will call them.

Don't try to analyze anything a drunk person says. Or anything a temporarily sober alcoholic says. It's all nonsense: quacking.

There is nothing you can do to prevent him from dying, except to stop enabling him and give him the opportunity to get help. Alcoholics are remarkably resourceful; if you stop enabling him, he will most certainly find someone else who will, unless he decides to get help.

It sounds painful, but he obviously doesn't care about you right now, in the throes of his addiction. If he did care about you, he would stop jeopardizing your job by calling you and he would be at AA as we speak.

Sorry, hope my post doesn't sound harsh-- I'm super busy tonight but wanted to check into the boards. Emmy, you have to love and take care of yourself right now, because sometimes no one else (but your higher power) can be there to do it for you. You must be really smart to be a paralegal! Clearly you are an amazing person to do such a hard job and keep it together while dealing with an alcoholic who is heaping stress on you. Stop answering his calls!!