Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sethus

Unhappy Sobriety is only getting harder with every month I'm sober.

Hello.
This is my third time getting sober, and while the first month has been relatively easy, it is only now a month later that all the trouble I caused my ex girlfriend as well as many others has suddenly hit me.
It's as though my brain knew it couldn't juggle sobriety and emotion so it chose to just totally shut off in order to give me a chance to quit drinking.

In the first few weeks I stayed with my mum in the country, away from city life. Was busy working on my dissertation and began meditating every day.
It seemed such a world away from the messed up binge drinking routine of going out- partying- getting wasted- drunkenly doing something I would regret and then sleeping in until late afternoon every day that I didn't have a chance to acknowledge the serious life changes that were ensuing.

A month on and I am having realisations about losing someone I loved dearly, and emotion is getting the better of me. Social situations are ever so difficult because the way I behave is the polar opposite of how I would normally under the influence. I can't cope in large groups or parties anymore.

All the emotion that I'd managed to suppress over the month has come back in full force.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any advice for me on how to cope with it?