View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by Heartbroken0608 View Post
I've changed my actions towards my son to protect myself from his destruction. He knows I will no longer support him and that home can never again be an option for him. He has to figure his life out for himself. I had to take these steps to protect myself.

However, I still have hope. I don't base my happiness on that hope but I also will not give up hope that someday he will lead a healthy, happy life. I see it won't be on my timeline, but, as they say, where there is breathe there is hope and that hope helps me to sleep peacefully every night.
I hope you don't think this post was discrediting hope, that wasn't my intention. Hope is a valuable thing to have and it does help us keep our sanity in most situations...again, it is a coping mechanism. But, there is a point where we need to realize that hope can't change anything, only we can. Seems you've got a great grasp on this concept! As you stated, as long as we don't base our happiness around these hopes, then it is definitely okay to have.