View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zanzibar

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I'm sober 20 years and also treated for depression that long. I go to AA for alcoholism and a shrink for depression. I've found it's better to not talk about medications in AA meetings because I don't want unsolicited advice from a few ill-informed addicts. I suggest going to an AA meeting and talking about your drink signals. There's no reason to inform people about not going to meetings regularly or being in another recovery program. Remember, "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking".
Right there is the exact reason why I gave up on AA. I fully respect them for what they're trying to do, but it seems that if they don't understand it they don't want to hear it. In the middle of a share I've been asked to keep to the topic of alcoholism. It's not right that you have to hide feelings in an enviroment that preaches openness. I've only been a member here for a short time and already I feel more comfortable, safer, and secure than I ever did at AA. The first time I have a bad day will be the true test. As then you will hear some strange ramblings!