Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
growlove

Can someone help point me in the right direction

Hi there - First time posting and just hoping someone can give me some ideas on what to do next. My Mom has been drinking for the past year +. She has chronic, debilitating pain and takes occasional narcotics, sleeping pills, and wears a pain patch (opiates) that is maximum strength. She is very depressed, sleeps most of the time, and when something sets her off, she drinks. She doesn't drink everyday, but when she does, she ends up passed out and sometimes sleeps for a couple of days straight. I think when she gets drunk, she takes more drugs.

I am not sure what to do. I don't live in the same state as she does and when I was home last week, she asked for help. She said she wanted to try therapy locally before she went to a treatment center but the first 2 therapist we called were booked for a month. I don't know who to call. Now that I am gone, she hasn't called anyone else and she insist on making the appointment herself. She had another 'episode' a few days ago and I don't want this to keep going on.

She said she is willing to visit John Hopkins pain treatment center but it requires a form to be filled out and medical reports to be sent. She just isn't being proactive and my Dad, who lives with her, is not either. He is in total denial there is a serious problem.

Any ideas on what my next steps should be? Should we just keep calling therapist? My Mom doesn't want to call someone that isn't recommended but we have to do something. Would AA meetings be appropriate? I don't know if she will go, but I can mention it.

Thanks so much for your time!